Wednesday, July 8, 2009

“American Capitalism Gone With A Whimper”

An article appeared in the April 27, 2009 online issue of Pravda that could engender some conversation in the classroom – teaching the students to move from thoughts based on opinion to thoughts based on facts.

I like to look at news articles from a variety of national sources when I have the time (the only one I regularly peruse is the BBC Minute News online, but I have a couple of other sites that I check on occasion) as it gives an interesting and sometimes disturbing perspective that is not presented in the American news media for a variety of reasons. Sometimes I find articles on other blogs I read. This article came via The Examiner.

The title of the article is “American Capitalism Gone With A Whimper”, and is attributed to Stanislav Mishin. While the article is in the opinion section of Pravda, it must be remembered that Pravda is the newspaper representing the State. Hence, is it incorrect to assume that articles published represent the view of the State, or at least of the individuals of influence in the State?

While his article is not something most American’s want to hear or think about, it does have some interesting points. It’s basic premise is that the United States is rapidly and inexplicably moving toward Marxism – and he presents his evidence. I’d encourage you to read it and see what you think.

Essential Question: What is the value of using the perspective from other nations – so readily available on the Web today – in the classroom?

PHOTO RESOURCE: Pravda
-

No comments: