Friday, February 6, 2009

Social Studies for the 21st Century

The link below is to an article that any teacher in the area of Social Studies might find interesting. In an article titled Social Studies for the 21st Century: Changing Business as Usual With a New Map for K12 Social Studies, by Ron Schachter. It’s an article of interest to our Social Studies teachers, and I encourage you to take the time to read it.

The article is from the District Administrator, January 2009, pp. 81 – 83, and is on the web here.

The article refers to a The 21st Century Skills Map for Social Dtudies, which can be found here. (Note: When I tried the link, it came up with a ‘page not found’, but I found a person to contact and wrote to him, so hopefully they will fix it soon).

Essential Question: How can we as Social Studies teachers best meet the needs of our students in an ever-changing and rapidly changing world?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think this is a great new direction that Social Studies should be headed. It teaches students improtant social skills that so many of them are lacking when they graduate from High School. I think it would be more meaningful and helpful to our students. I would like to get a hold of the P21 link so I can see some of the mapping and try it out with my students next year. Great article!
HL