Saturday, May 23, 2009

Letters of the Delegates


The Library of Congress has wonderful online resources for the Social Studies teacher. I came across one the other day while ‘surfing’ through the American Memory portal of the LOC webpage: Letters of the Delegates.

This site contains links to letters and diary entries of many of the delegates to the Continental Congress, and covers the years 1774 – 1788. It is easy to navigate through the letters, as the initial division is by date – usually covering a three to five month block. Once you link to that three-to-five month block, the names of the authors of these letters are show. If the document is a letter, it also shows whom the letter is to.

An example of some of the insight provided by perusing this collection: A letter from John Hancock to George Washington on May 16, 1776, inviting the General to Philadelphia to discuss matters with Congress – and offering to share his residence with General Washington and his wife.

Sir, Philadelphia May 16th. 1776. I do myself the Honour to enclose you several Resolutions passed by the Congress, to which I beg Leave to refer you. The Congress being of Opinion, that it is necessary, as well for your Health, as the public Service, that you should embrace the earliest opportunity of coming to Philadelphia, have directed me to write to you, and request, that you will repair to Philada. as soon as you can conveniently, in order to consult with Congress, upon such Measures as may be necessary for the carrying on the ensuing Campaign. I hope the Situation of the great Affairs with which you are entrusted, will admit your making this Excursion, which I apprehend may be serviceable to your Health. In which Case, I request the Favour that you will please to honour me with your and your Lady's Company at my House, where I have a Bed at your Service during your Continuance here, and where every Endeavour of mine and Mrs. Hancock, shall be exerted to make your Abode agreeable. I reside in an airy, open Part of the City in Arch Street and Fourth Street. If this should be agreeable to you, it will afford me much Pleasure.”
This site is one to be explored! If you decide to explore it, feel free to share any discoveries or interesting tidbits.

Essential Question: How can the personal views found in the Letters of the Delegates be effectively used in our history, government, and civics classes?

No comments: