Thursday, January 1, 2009

Creating a Calendar











The Lincoln Bicentennial - celebrating the 200th anniversary of the birth of Abraham Lincoln on Feb. 12, 1809, is happily progressing in our District, and I'm very excited about it. We are using Web 2.0 technology to create our own bicentennial celebration, coordinated between our 21 schools.

When I become excited, I tend to (sometimes) get carried away - little things like buying a Lincoln Centennial pin on Ebay, getting a book of Lincoln quotes to use in our celebration - as well as a book on antedotes about Lincoln, both of which were out of print.

Then, of course, you need a calendar focused on Lincoln to properly celebrate the bicentennial! An Internet search revealed no such animal - though I did find one with Lincoln statues, another with a man portraying Lincoln sitting with animals, etc. Not quite what I wanted. Enter in the excellent training we had on the National Archives and Library of Congress! I downloaded pictures, went to an online publisher (Zazzle) and created a calendar using their template, with pictures of Lincoln arranged chronologically. Paid the bill, and now the calendar is happily hanging in my office at work, admired (?) by all! There is not another one like it!

Now, about that Lincoln necktie....

No comments: