Sunday, June 14, 2009

Library of Congress, Flicker, and Historic Newspapers

I was doing my (apparently) weekly catch-up on blogs when I read the one from the folks at the Library of Congress. They have set up a new series – which will be growing continually – on Flickr which deals with historic newspapers. From their blog:

“Today the Library launched a new photostream on our Flickr page to celebrate this visual heritage. It is a series of 52 weekly supplements in the New-York Tribune, beginning 100 years ago in 1909. About 50 new pages will be added to the stream every month.”
TIP: Be sure to click on the ‘all sizes’ button on the Flickr site in order to enlarge the picture – all of the way to ‘original’ size.

Earlier this year in my blog I had written about some statistics from a hundred years ago. I know when I was in the classroom one could build an entire unit around the ‘hundred years ago’ concept – of course, when I started teaching was the hundredth year since Grant defeated Greeley – and the kids always enjoyed ‘looking back’.

I’d encourage teachers to take a look at the new Library of Congress initiative and see (and share) how they could use this in the classroom!

Essential Question: What classroom strategies could be used for teaching by using this Library of Congress material?

No comments: