Thursday, June 11, 2009

Historic Vacations?

Summer vacations are here, and I have to admit that I am curious if my vacation time with the family is the same or different from other Social Studies teachers.

My children didn’t really know what a theme park was as far as the ‘vacation concept’ was involved. We would – when we could travel – visit battlefields, President’s homes, museums, historic sites. Places like Williamsburg, Kings Mountain, Plymouth Plantation, Gettysburg, Washington DC, Smithsonian, Antietam, the Natchez Trace, National Air Museum, etc., fill our log book of places seen. Fortunately, I married a woman of similar interests....

That process continues today. In my current position, I have a five-day ‘vacation’ during the summer. I’ve already had mine, although I have to admit I’ve gotten a little more flexible in my old age – we actually visited a theme park of sorts - Rock City.

Of course, the kids add their own twists to the visits. We are now (and have been for several years) accompanied by Rebecca the pet rock. She's in the pictures... see if you can find her.

Rock City, Chattanooga, Tennessee
Point Park, atop Lookout Mountain, Chattanooga, Tennessee
The Hermitage, Andrew Jackson’s home, Nashville, Tennessee.

What kind of vacation are you planning?

Essential Question: How does visiting historic sites enhance the ability of the teacher to better understand and present the historicity of the locale/event?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm convinced that growing up as you describe - visiting battlefields instead of Disney World - had a huge influence on my becoming a history teacher.

I have a student that advanced to the National History Fair, so I'm using the opportunity to take my 9 yr old to DC for the first time.

I also think that we can have an influence on the vacations that our students' families take. I'm constantly urging kids and parents to go and see the things that we're talking about in class. In the first week of summer, I've already had two students bring me souvenirs from trips taken by their families in the past week or two - one to Philly and one to Fort Sumter. That is gratifying!!

Thanks for the post.

By the way, are you going to FCSS this year? I'm planning another tech session. Not sure of the focus yet - any ideas? Anything that your teachers need?

fourkid said...

Well, since our honeymoon was to visit Charleston, SC I knew what I was in for! But you are great at humoring me as well - that was how we worked in the Amish country visits and the lakeside camp in Maine on various past vacations.
Hugs,
The Wife

Mike B said...

Stephen: I had the same 'souvenir' occurances in class. It is a neat feeling. It's good to see that you are inspiring your students - who knows what techno-history teachers will come out of Tallahassee!
I'm hoping to go the FCSS again - but that depends on the department budget, which I'll know more about later. With all of the changes coming down from the legislature and DOE, it's a good time to get face to face updates and information. Maybe we'll get a chance to chat if we both make it there.